File this one under “too funny not to share.” While reading an article from the New York Post last night about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez got her goddaughter into a charter school (which she publicly criticizes), I got a suggested article with a headline I couldn’t help but laugh at (pictured below):

I assumed that the headline was clickbait – but in it is contained yet another AOC gaffe/lie.
To quote from the Post’s article (which is from 2019): Congresswoman AOC recalled how her public-school teachers thought she needed “remedial education” because she had grown up speaking Spanish at home.  The freshman lawmaker, speaking Saturday at a packed town hall organized by the Jackson Heights People for Public Schools, said, “As a child I spoke Spanish first. … and I went to a school where no one looked like me. I went to a school where teachers thought I needed remedial education because I spoke two languages instead of one.”
According to AOC, it wasn’t until she took a “high stakes test” (any test used to make important decisions about students) and scored in the 99th percentile that her teachers realized she was capable. I’d say good for her – but what she described cannot be true as presented. As the Western Journal notes: according to a blog post by Diane Ravitch, a professor at New York University and former U.S. assistant secretary of education who is a fan of AOC: “It was a bit jarring to hear AOC say that she was treated in the Yorktown schools as in need of remedial education because she was Hispanic, not mainstream, but, she said, ‘a-high-stakes standardized Test’ revealed she was in the 99th percentile,” Ravitch wrote.
No one stopped to point out that she could not be referring to any high-stakes test used for accountability purposes because they don’t rank by percentile,” Ravitch continued. “They classify students as 1, 2, 3, or 4. Her teacher must have given her a no-stakes individual test that produces a percentile ranking for diagnostic purposes.”
Leave it to AOC to confuse “high stakes” with “no stakes.” Unfortunately, I’m not sure which remedial course would’ve taught her the difference.