Friday, July 10, 2020

If I were a White Racist

If I were a White Racist 



If I were a white racist, I would hope that black Americans never achieved their potential for happy and successful lives, and I would do what I could to prevent them from achieving that.
I think the best way to do that is to convince them that they have no chance to be successful, so that they wouldn’t even really try. I would try to convince them that they live in a racist country that will discriminate against them at every turn. I would tell them that most white people are racists and want to preserve all opportunity for their fellow whites. I would tell them that even the President of their country is a racist. If I were a white racist, I would join the Democrat party, which is the party of slavery, Jim Crow segregation and the Ku Klux Klan, the party that has governed nearly all of our major cities for, at least, the last 50 years; cities that remain highly segregated with unsafe neighborhoods and terrible failing schools. Heck, Baltimore has 13 high schools without a single student proficient in math, 5 of those without a single student proficient in reading. And many with increasing levels of violence where we can hardly go a week without black children being gunned down. And cities that haven’t adequately corrected inappropriate police behavior where it exists. Even better we could try to persuade black people to hate the country they live in. What could be more incapacitating and discouraging than all of that?
But I’m not a white racist. I’m an American guy who loves his country as a melting pot of people of all races and demographic backgrounds with freedom and opportunity for everyone without regard to race. I want black people, especially, who are still suffering from the consequences of past mistreatment to achieve their full God given potential. I want to tell them that they live in the greatest land of opportunity in the history of the world. I want to tell them that very few white people are racist and most want them fully assimilated into our exceptional American culture. I want us to find better ways to help our black brothers and sisters identify their God given gifts and talents. To help them prepare to achieve success where there is almost unlimited opportunity available to them in this great land of freedom and opportunity. I joined the Republican party, the party that was formed for the sole purpose of ending slavery, the party whose members voted in higher percentages than the Democrats for passage of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts. The party that would take a different approach to addressing the problems in our major cities, an approach that would focus on strengthening families, insuring that neighborhoods are safe and prosperous, and one that would use a commitment to charter schools and voucher systems to get people competing with each other to see who could do the best job of educating our inner city children. I guess I would tell my black brothers and sisters that the President sure seems to be doing a crummy job of being a racist since he spends so much time celebrating and talking about reducing black unemployment to the lowest levels in history, increasing funding for historically black colleges, creating enterprise zones in inner cities, pushing school choice and taking the badly needed first step in addressing criminal justice reform so badly needed in the black community.
And I would ask my fellow white Americans to take the time to listen to our black fellow citizens, to hear and understand the hurt, pain, anxiety and anger that many are feeling as a result of centuries of past mistreatment. And then, let’s get off the sidelines and into action. We don’t want our fellow black citizens to feel incapacitated. We want to help them achieve their full potential and join us in making our country the best it can possibly be – for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment